Colorado's First Craft Brewery - Since 1979
In 1979 two professors at the University of Colorado received the 43rd brewing license issued in the United States, creating Boulder Beer Company, Colorado’s First Craft Brewery. The original site of the brewery was a small farm northeast of Boulder, the brew house sharing space in a shed originally housing a few goats!
In a world of light yellow lagers, Boulder Beer won industry and consumer accolades for its line of bold Boulder Beers: Boulder Porter, Stout and Extra Special Bitter. Five years later, the brewery moved to its current site in Boulder and expanded from its original one-barrel brewing system to a 50-barrel brew house with top-of-the-line packaging equipment. In 1994 we converted the original tasting room to our full-menu pub and epic patio under the Flatirons.
Brewmaster David Zuckerman joined Boulder Beer in 1990, and soon introduced Colorado favorites Buffalo Gold and Singletrack Rye Pale Ale, which are still popular today. Long time General Manager Jeff Brown became President of Boulder Beer in 2002, which was the same year that saw the packaged introduction of the innovative and widely heralded Hazed & Infused dry-hopped ale, an unfiltered hoppy session ale, now lovingly referred to simply as Hazed. In 2003 Mojo IPA hit the scene, and every year since then has ushered in new flavors and new styles of beer developed by our creative team of brewers, which often are on the cutting edge of craft brewing trends. From our award-winning Shake Chocolate Porter to Emergent White IPA, our history of innovation continues today with these exciting new releases.
Our brewers continue to test boundaries with unique blends and combinations on our pilot brewing system and barrel-aged program. Stop in to The Pub on Wilderness for this week’s “Brewer’s Choice” and who knows, you could be sampling the first batch of The Next Big Thing!
Our original location, The Pub on Wilderness, is situated right in the heart of our production brewery for an up close and personal look at brewing operations happening all around you. In addition to our brewery-fresh beers on tap on co2, nitro and cask, we are also a full-service restaurant with food, wine and spirits. Open for lunch, happy hour and dinner, you can enjoy a bite to eat before or after our free public brewery tour, either inside or on our outdoor patio with killer views of Boulder’s iconic Flatirons.
For frequent visitors to The Pub on Wilderness, we also offer loyalty programs such as lunch and growler fill punch cards (buy 9 get the 10th free!), and a mug club called The Goatshed Gang.
In the summer months we host live music (never a cover charge!) on our patio on Thursdays and Saturdays from 5 – 9pm. This year’s concert series starts on May 12th and runs through September. Our patio is dog friendly with a separate dog entrance, so bring your furry friends for a relaxing evening of festive tunes under the Flatirons. We will also be hosting a summertime Boulder Beer Bags league on our patio, so stay tuned for more information on that in the coming months.
For a full listing of our daily food and drink specials, as well as a calendar listing of special events, tappings and live music, please visit the The Pub on Wilderness page.
In summer 2017, we will open a new Downtown Boulder location in the home of the former Walnut Brewery! Check out the Boulder Beer on Walnut page for more information.
Tours only available at The Pub on Wilderness / Production Brewery location.
MONDAY - FRIDAY → 2PM
SATURDAY → 2PM & 4PM
SUNDAY → 2PM
Stop by The Pub on Wilderness every day at 2pm for Boulder's BEST tour. We also have an additional tour Saturdays at 4pm for those wanting to start their fun a little bit later. Please come at least 15 minutes early to sign up and grab a pint!
The tour is truly a behind-the-scenes look at the hand-crafted brewing process behind Colorado's First Craft Brewery. No reservations required or taken; first come, first served. (The maximum capacity for tours is 30 people.) Stop in early for a bite to eat and get your name on the list!
Our Green Story
Doing our part to save the planet, one beer at a time. Here are just a few of the extra environmentally-responsible actions we take here at Boulder Beer to help keep our planet a happy place!
The Pub on Wilderness is PACE Certified (Partners for a Cleaner Environment).
SOME of the eco-friendly steps we take in The Pub on Wilderness include ―
- New solar thermal panels on our roof heat all hot water used in the Pub on Wilderness and kitchen, restrooms, and for hand sinks throughout the production brewery.
- Use a low temperature dishwasher and a water-saving dishwashing nozzle.
- Recycle all co-mingleds as well as hard to recycle materials and equipment.
- Use all recycled or compostable “to go” containers and bags.
- Recycle kitchen fryer-oil for bio-diesel.
- Use high-efficiency toilets.
- Compost food waste.
Earth-Friendly Brewing and Production ―
- In 2010 we invested in a new glycol chiller that helped us save 16% in electricity for the year.
- On average, over 130 tons of our spent grain is reused as feed supplements by local farmers every month.
- Another local farmer reuses our leftover yeast for pig feed.
- Our production brewery recovers heated water from the heat-exchanger to use in future brews.
- We insulate our fermentation tanks to save energy on cooling them down.
- Our walk-in cooler has economizers that use outside air to cool the warehouse during the cold months of the year, saving energy on refrigeration.
- Replaced high-intensity discharge lights in the cooler with energy efficient lighting.
Earth-friendly Printing and Packaging ―
- Our 6-pack carriers are printed on 100% recycled paperboard.
- Our bottles are made from 30% recycled glass.
- Our cardboard case boxes are made from 45% recycled materials.
- The ink used to print our labels is made from 100% vegetable oil (no petroleum). This is the safest and most environmentally friendly ink in the industry.
- Our disposable keg cups are made of corn and completely compostable.
- Our coasters are made from 35% recycled paperboard.
- Our letterhead is 100% recycled.
Earth-friendly HR ―
- Our company is committed to alternative transportation. We offer Eco Passes as a benefit to all employees so they can ride the city and regional buses for free.
- Many of our staff members also commute to work on their bikes, which prompted us to become the first business in Boulder to adopt a portion of a city bike path, keeping it clean and safe.
The Boulder Beer Tap House at DIA
Are you flying in to Denver International Airport but can’t make the trip up to Boulder? Get a taste of Colorado’s First Craft Brewery in the Main Terminal at the Boulder Beer Taphouse at DIA. Pouring a wide selection of our year round beers, seasonal offerings, and rotating Brewer’s Choice specialty beers, if you can’t decide on one you can order a taster flight before your flight! Located in the main terminal before going through security, the Boulder Beer Taphouse is the perfect place to meet your friends and family at the airport when they fly in to Denver.